Economic Recovery Innovation Grant
Invest Northern Ireland (Invest NI) has launched the Economic Recovery Innovation Grant (ERIG) to support local businesses to develop innovative projects and to encourage businesses to progress along Innovate NI’s Innovation Framework.
ERIG aims to support businesses to recover from the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic by helping them develop new or improve existing products, services or processes through innovation. It provides grant support for the development, testing and introduction of an innovative project in a business.
ERIG is managed and administered by Invest NI.
This support is part-funded by the Department for the Economy Economic Recovery Action Plan.
Deadline for applications
The Economic Recovery Innovation Grant closed for applications at 5pm on Thursday 31 March 2022.
What is available?
Businesses can access up to a maximum grant of £5,000 (taxable) to support eligible costs to progress their innovative project.
ERIG is designed to complement rather than duplicate other regional support programmes.
ERIG is open to any business that can demonstrate it meets all the eligibility criteria outlined in this guidance.
ERIG is open to all businesses that meet the following eligibility criteria.
Businesses must be:
- Based in Northern Ireland.
- Classified as a SME.
- Pre-trading or actively trading.
- Registered with HMRC.
- Recognised as a Silver Level Innovator or equivalent
- Able to confirm that the ERIG grant payment will not take them over the State Aid de minimis ceiling of €200,000 over the current and two previous fiscal years, or if applicable, the £315,000 Minimal Financial Assistance contribution.
There are some exclusions to ERIG.
A business is not eligible to apply if:
- It has a current Invest NI Letter of Offer or has received financial support from Invest NI within the last 3 years, however, support via Invest NI Innovation Vouchers and the NI Executive COVID Emergency Schemes are excluded from this. For more detail on these exceptions see our Frequently Asked Questions.
- It is currently a Bronze Level Innovator, or has received Gold or Platinum Level Innovator recognition in the past.
- The project it is applying for has received financial assistance from another government or public sector source (with the exception of Invest NI Innovation Vouchers).
- It is a primary agricultural producer i.e. those primarily concerned with crop or animal production or forestry or logging or fisheries or aquaculture are not eligible to apply for ERIG. However, agricultural businesses associated with the processing, marketing and retail of agricultural products are eligible to apply.
- The grant received will result in the business exceeding its applicable State Aid de minimis or Minimal Financial Assistance (MFA) ceiling in the last three years are not eligible to apply for ERIG.
If you have any enquiries about the Economic Recovery Innovation Grant, complete this enquiry form.
You can also call Invest NI’s Business Support Team on 0800 181 4422. Lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.30pm.