Non-Executive Director Scheme
Strengthen the leadership capability of your business.
In a competitive business environment, strong leadership capability is crucial to long-term business success. The Non-Executive Director (NED) Scheme is designed to help Invest NI SME customers strengthen their leadership capability by supporting the appointment of an experienced independent Non-Executive Director (NED) to the company board.
The NED will use their knowledge, skills and expertise to provide objective advice, guidance, challenge and support at board level, improving strategic decision-making, the operation of the board and effectiveness of the leadership team.
Typically NED ‘projects’ may focus on a number of the following:
- improving corporate governance and the operation of a company board
- strategy development and implementation
- increasing networking capability and the development of new markets
- the development of new products or processes
- monitoring of executive performance and/or mentoring of directors
- changing organisational structure and/or culture
- succession planning
Accessing expertise through a Non-Executive Director can be an effective way to accelerate business growth, improve governance and strengthen competitive advantage over the longer term.
To be eligible for the NED scheme you should:
- Be a limited company registered in Northern Ireland
- Have turnover of at least £500k, with 25% export sales
- Have an existing or wish to form, a company board
- Advisory support for the engagement of an independent/external Non-Executive Director
- Financial support up to £15,000 or 49% of eligible costs, whichever is the lesser
- Maximum 2 year engagement, typically 12-24 days per annum
- Selecting and appointing the Non-Executive Director
- Scoping of the project in conjunction with the Non-Executive Director
- Submitting the NED Scheme application for support to Invest NI
- Negotiating and agreeing the terms and conditions of the NED’s appointment and confirming this in a formal letter of engagement
- Registering the NED as a Non-Executive Director of the company with Companies House
How to apply:
If you are interested in finding out more or applying for the Non-Executive Director programme, please contact your Invest NI client executive or complete this enquiry form.
Case Study | Hear how Aurion Learning has benefitted from taking part in Invest NI’s NED scheme | Maureen Murphy
You may also be interested in...
Get HR advice
Get training support